Many of us may have said these words in our childhood – गाय हमारी माता है, हमें कुछ नहीं आता है (Cow is our mother, and we know nothing).
These funny lines are becoming true in present scenario. Even, Government of India (GoI) has taken these words seriously and launched a Research program – SUTRA-PIC – for Indigenous Cows.
(यहां तक कि, भारत सरकार ने इन शब्दों को गंभीरता से लिया है और स्वदेशी गायों के लिए एक अनुसंधान कार्यक्रम शुरू किया है)
Objectives of the Research program
- To perform scientific research on complete characterization of milk and milk products derived from Indian indigenous cows.
- Scientific research on nutritional and therapeutic properties of curd and ghee prepared from indigenous breeds of cows by traditional methods.
- Development of standards for traditionally processed dairy products of Indian-origin cow.
Thematic areas of R&D
- Scientific research on Uniqueness of Indigenous Cows | स्वदेशी गायों की विशिष्टता पर वैज्ञानिक शोध
- Scientific research on Prime-products from Indigenous Cows for –
- Medicine and Health,
- Agricultural Applications,
- Food and Nutrition.
- Scientific research on Prime-products from indigenous cows-based utility items.
Facts about SUTRA-PIC
The acronym “SUTRA-PIC” stands for “Scientific Utilisation Through Research Augmentation-Prime Products from Indigenous Cows”. The research program is led by the Department of Science and Technology (DST).
Partners associated to SUTRA-PIC
- Department of Biotechnology
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
- Ministry for AYUSH (Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, Homoeopathy)
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), etc.
Project Duration: 2-3 years.