India Post has started the free digital parcel locker service to make possible customers to collect their consignment from specified post offices at their convenience.
- How Digital parcel locker is helpful?
- How to access the service?
- Future Aspect
- Pilot service has started from where?
How Digital parcel locker is helpful?
The first-of-its-kind service is expected to help working professionals or those people who often miss out on receiving parcels when postman visits them because of not being at home during office hours. The consignment will remain accessible to customers for 7 days during which they can collect the parcel any time of the day.
How to access the service?
If you are not at home when your parcel came then the Postman will drop the parcels in the Digital Locker Kiosks, which will be placed just outside the post office building and will be accessible 24X7.
Now, the big question is how do you collect the parcel? Please follow the steps below:
- You (addressee or beneficiary) will be given a specific locker number as an address where the Postman will drop the parcel into the locker.
- After that, you will be informed through a system-generated SMS with an OTP (One-Time Password).
- To collect the parcel, you just have to walk into the post office, any time of the day or night, and open the locker with the help of the OTP.
Note: A consignment (or parcel) will remain accessible to customers for 7 days.
In the beginning, the add-on delivery facility will be limited to consignments received through registered post or speed post. Afterwards, India Post may extend the services to private courier companies and tie-up with e-commerce firms viz. Flipkart and Amazon.
Let me explain you by an example given by Postmaster General (Kolkata Circle) Amitabh Singh: Just like you can use an ICICI card in a HDFC ATM, you can collect a parcel delivered by another courier from an India Post locker.
Pilot service has started from where?
Initially, the digitally-enabled parcel locker service has started from Kolkata circle in two post offices – the Nabadiganta IT Post Office in Sector 5 of Salt Lake and New Town. Soon, the facility will roll out in other post offices of the country.