Samsung Pay is a simple, smart and secure digital wallet service launched in India to enable users to make offline payments by using their Samsung smartphones. It is exclusively available on selected Samsung smartphones viz. Galaxy Note5, Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 edge, Galaxy S6 edge+, Galaxy A7 (2016), Galaxy A5 (2016).
This new digital wallet supports Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) and Near Field Communication (NFC) technologies. It replicates physical cards like debit or credit cards to make payments on card terminals and thus does not require internet services but can work offline and can be used just like credit or debit cards to make the payment. It also eliminates the need to enter user’s confidential account information such as CVV code, debit card and credit card pin.
How Samsung Pay Works
Download the Samsung Pay app from Google Play Store and save your credit card and debit card information in the app. With this, you can make payment by using the app by using your smartphone. You can add your debit or credit cards manually or through the phone camera, which reads the details automatically.
You can make the payment by tapping the smartphone on NFC enabled Point-of-Sale machine and authenticate the transaction through fingerprint scanner and it is done. That’s Simple! Though, if some cards terminal does not support NFC feature, the payment can be made using MST. Therefore, it is convenient to use everywhere.
- Fingerprint/ Pin Authentication: Authorize payments by simply scanning your fingerprint or entering your Samsung Pay PIN.
- Digital Tokenization: All transactions use a random token instead of the card number, which means the actual card information isn’t shared while paying and details stay safe.
- Samsung KNOX: With Samsung KNOX, the phone is constantly monitored for vulnerabilities. Even if the phone is compromised, card information is still safely encrypted within a separate and secure data vault.
How to Set Up Samsung Pay
- Registration on Samsung pay is a onetime Activity.
- Launch the app by tapping Samsung Pay icon on your device.
- Sign In with your Samsung Account ID and Password.
- If you don’t have a Samsung Account ID then “Sign Up” using instructions on the screen.
- Once Samsung Account set up is done, tap Samsung Pay icon and then tap “Use Fingerprint” to register your Fingerprint.
- Apart from Fingerprint, you can set up Samsung Pay Pin for payment Authentication.
- To set up Samsung Pay Pin, use ” Skip and Use Samsung Pay Pin” on Verification method page.
- Now you are ready for your Card registration.
- Tap Add to add your Debit/Credit Card.
- The camera opens within the app. Use camera to Auto read your Card details. You can also enter the details manually.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Card registration.
Banks Supported in India
According to the official Samsung Pay website – the app supports credit and debit cards of Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank and Standard Chartered Bank while only State Bank of India’s credit cards are supported in it. Beside this, American Express and Citibank will soon support Samsung Pay.
The app also allows integration of other e-wallet services and currently Paytm is the only supported e-wallet service.