Lary is becoming mature day by day. Lary, the name of twitter bird. Twitter has introduced its new feature, Twitter Mute Words. Twitter Muting Notifications for Words and Hashtags helps you to get rid of unwanted notifications.
Want to stop getting notifications for Tweets that contain certain words, usernames, or hashtags? We're giving you that control. pic.twitter.com/awoNHUYbTG
— Safety (@safety) November 15, 2016
As twitter openly & widely used by large number people, some twitter users are using the openness of twitter wrongly. The increment of bullying, abuse & harassment needs to be stopped as it’s against twitter’s Hateful conduct policy. Until now you can only mute or block a particular twitter user. So if you don’t like tweets/retweets of any user and don’t want to see it on your timeline(TL) you can mute that user. The muted user will not know that you’ve muted them, you can unmute them at any time.
Now you can mute notifications for tweets which contain words, phrases, usernames, emojis or hashtags. More in this, you can also mute a conversion. So rather muting user for unwanted notifications, you can simply mute those tweets.
- Muting words and hashtags only applies to your notifications, not for timeline.
- Muting is case-insensitive. For example, “Politics”, “POLITICS” & “politics” all are treated same.
- You can use punctuation in a word or phrase, you can avoid punctuation at the end of the word or phase.
- Muting a word will also mute its hashtag. For example, if you add “Politics” to mute, it will mute both “Politics” & “#Politics”.
- To mute Tweet notifications that mention a particular account, you must include the @ sign before the name. Doing this will mute Tweet notifications that mention that account, but won’t mute notifications from the account itself.
- 140 characters limit will also apply here. Words, phrases, usernames, emojis, and hashtags up to 140 characters can be muted.
- Muting is possible across all Twitter-supported languages.
- Time-based muting is not possible. Means if you want to mute certain word or hashtag for a particular time-period, is not possible. You must manually add/remove muting.
Steps to mute words & hashtags
- Go to Settings Notifications Muted Words
- Tap on Plus icon or + Add muted word or phrase
- Type the word you want to mute
- Tap Save
To unmute any word, tap on mute icon next to every word added in this list.
Steps to mute a conversation notification
- Go to the Tweet detail of any Tweet or a reply in the conversation you wish to mute.
- Tap the down arrow or click on more icon
- Tap/Click Mute this conversation