On Safer Internet Day (SID-2018), Google India has launched new online security campaign #SecurityCheckKiya to promote internet security awareness among general public.
The purpose of the campaign is to protect young and first-time web users from account hijacking, safeguard android devices from malicious apps and secure all their personal data if they lose their device.
For this cause, Google has suggested three steps that will safeguard a user’s android mobile device and account against several online threats such as hijacking, malicious apps and loss of personal data.
#SecurityCheckKiya: 3 steps for Internet safety
The 3 steps for Internet safety for this ongoing campaign are as follows:
- Google Security
- Google Play Protect
- Find My Device app
Let’s discuss one by one to safeguard yourself from online threats.
a) Google Security
- To protect account hijacking, all android devices and Gmail users can review their security settings and Google account activity with one click Google Security. This “Google Security” will automatically scans for any vulnerability and guides users to keep their account safe.
- To do this one should go: My Account Sign-in and Security Security Checkup
b) Google Play Protect
- To safeguard android devices from malicious apps, users can scan and check android device for any harmful apps through Google Play Protect.
- To do this, users can tap on Google Play Protect option by going into Settings Security.
- The Google Play Protect will scans all apps for malware before and after you install them and is automatically enabled on your device.
c) Find My Device
To secure all personal data if an android device is lost, users can download Find My Device app, which will help a user to locate a lost android phone with ease.
Apart from tracing a phone users can also ring, lock and erase the data on a lost device remotely. To do this, a user needs to visit android.com/find, login with your relevant email address and follow the instruction on the screen.
Sunita Mohanty, Director (Trust & Safety) of Google India, said:
Through our initiative, we want to nudge internet users to take action to safeguard them, because the first step to a safer internet starts with them. We are asking users to get started on their journey by securing their data and devices, by asking them #SecurityCheckKiya